The Portland Tech Workshops have three goals:
- Create new technologists by teaching technical skills to beginners.
- Connect new people with the local tech community.
- Increase the participation of under-represented groups (women, lgbt, racial minorities, etc.) in the local tech community.
- Offer frequent, free and recurring workshops across a variety of programming languages and technologies.
- Leverage the existing tech community by structuring the workshops as peer-driven learning environments.
- Encourage increased participation by under-represented groups (women, lgbt, racial minorities, etc.) by limiting the participation of traditionally privileged groups.
How you can help
We need lots of volunteers in order to make the workshops happen. You do not have to be an expert in your field; you do not even need to have a technical background. We need people to help with project management, logistics, advertising, volunteer management and registration. And, of course, we need people to help develop workshop curriculum and guide participants during the actual event.